Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Picture Post, Part II

Because truly, the easiest way to write a blog entry is to not write at all.

This is a rice-patty burger from Mos Burger, a Japanese fast food chain. Quite tasty, actually. The "Chinese Sauce" for the chicken nuggets is remarkably similar to McDonald's sweet and sour sauce, which is to say it sucks.

Daniel and I in Old Town in Hsinchu, south of Taipei. Yes, I am drinking a beer. Generally, when there isn't an open container law prohibiting me from having a cold one in public, I feel obliged....

Daniel and San enjoying the "cactus-flavored" Popsicles we picked up in Old Town. Damn tasty, actually.

This contraption is my all-in-one washer/dryer combo machine. When I was looking at apartments, I quickly decided that a combo machine made a lot of sense given the space constraints in a city like Taipei.

After I washed and dried my first pair of jeans, my opinion of the combo washer/dryer was decidedly less positive. If I wanted my jeans to be that small, I'd probably just roll in some navy colored chalk or something; you know, in an effort to look more like the hipsters that plague Austin and other spots across the US.

Its missing the gold Texas star I'm accustomed to, but it still tastes like the Heavy, so no complaints....

I went to a BBQ joint last week in Taipei; this was my dinner about 15 minutes before I was served. Probably the freshest shrimp I've ever had, and the taste didn't disappoint.

So, you're probably wondering what's so special about some 7-11 sushi, right? Well, take a closer look at the roll on the left. You probably can't read Mandarin, and well, neither can I, but my co-worker can. That's a "German Sausage" sushi roll. Hey, if there's a Texas roll in most Austin sushi joints, why not a "German Sausage" sushi roll in Taipei? (Well, probably because a sausage roll generally goes against everything right about sushi, namely that's its quasi-healthy....)

At some point, I'll either get tired of posting pictures of Burger King advertisements, or they'll stop amusing me so much. Luckily for you, we haven't reached that point. Forget the seafood dinner, I'm headed to the King!

This is but one example of the greatness that is Japanese BBQ restaurants in Taipei. Stay tuned for a post dedicated to this wonderful little facet of dining out here in Taiwan....

Some form of grilled flavoring on my Cheetos. Why not?

The Don, you'll like this one. Apparently I moved from Austin (a mere one hour drive from San Antonio), to Taipei (a good 15 hours by plane from Austin) so I could pick up a Spurs ATM card.

Did anyone honestly expect me to forego the High Life in Asia?

They really go out of their way in Taipei to individually wrap their fruits/vegetables. If any particular food deserves this type of royal treatment, it is the avocado, my friends. Only drawback is that a regular avocado is about $3 American here.

My bike, if not cooler than yours, is certainly more portable.....

I had always planned on picking up a bike here, but who knew I'd get something so entertaining for when I get back to Austin.

I'll leave you with the knowledge that you aren't necessarily safe from being iced in Taipei....



4 comments:

  1. perfect. and i bet that rice patty burger is gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where's the you playing softball pic? Keep up the great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sam: its your world, the rest of us are just living in it! :)

    @Jeff: the softball pics will be reserved for that post; stay tuned!

    @Jordan: yep, I made a smart ass comment about hipsters and forgot to include the actually "skinny jeans" reference....

    ReplyDelete