Sunday, August 21, 2011

Costco Taiwan: The Gift That Keeps on Giving

Those of you who shop at Costco in the States probably think your local store is a mad house (I know I thought this about the Austin location). But the location here in Taipei takes things to a new level. I visited the local store here my very first weekend in Taipei and posted a picture on Facebook that captured the madness. Tonight's visit was equally entertaining.

Some things just can't be explained adequately with words, so I've provided some illustrative pictures of the uniquely Taiwan "Costco Experience."

A 12 foot artificial Christmas tree; there are two main reasons that it makes no sense that I saw this particular item tonight:
1. Today is August 21st. (For the calendar challenged among you, that would be a smooth four months before Christmas.)
2. The tree is 12 feet tall; (most apartments in Taipei have 8 foot ceilings.)

Oh, and if artificial Christmas trees aren't your thing, maybe artificial poinsettias are!

Can't say that I see these two items being hot sellers in August or September.....

For those last minute shoppers out there, they had this gem.....

A fake Jack O' Lantern; get 'em while they last folks!

The seasonal holiday items on sale a good 3 months in advance is curious, but the real highlight (or low-light) of any Taipei Costco trip is illustrated below:

That's a sea of humanity folks (at 8:30pm on a Sunday night, no less!) The only other place I've experienced similar crowds is the MRT (subway) system during rush hour. Luckily, my patience has grown and my personal space requirements have shrunk in the last few months. Otherwise, this would be a recipe for disaster.

Oh, and a few of you might be asking, why in the heck would I publish a post about Costco after spending 7 days in Thailand? Well, there is no doubt a wealth of pictures and video from my experiences that will find their way onto the blog, but I'm quite frankly too lazy to write a post of that magnitude tonight. I will say this: solid progress was made on material for the scooter post!

1 comment: