Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Post for Paine & Sam

As my good friends Robert and Sam have been so kind to point out to me via email, I have not posted a new entry in over two weeks.

Part of the reason can be explained by my trip to Shanghai, China for seven days. You see, the Chinese government is communist, and without the benefit of a proxy server, sites such as this one are not possible to visit. In case anyone thinks I'm actually making this up, here's my proof....



A picture of a hotel mini-fridge you ask? Notice the Pepsi. Not cool.
Ok, here's another form of proof...



Anyway, I was in China for work to meet all the folks I support that are based in Shanghai. My first impressions of Shanghai were that its a huge place with a ton of new buildings (many built in the past 15 years.) This picture out the 49th floor of my hotel room at the Renaissance Zhongshan Park gives you an idea of the enormous nature of Shanghai. Pretty wild, right?



It was a busy week all in all, and I didn't really get out much during the week. Friday night, I did hit up Pearl City and HongMei pedestrian street. The funny thing about this district is that the mandarin apparently reads "foreigner street", and true enough, I saw more Westerners in a 200 yard stretch on this street than I've seen in six weeks in Taipei.


Friday night was the end of my sightseeing in Shanghai. Apparently, eating a cheesesteak with a side of french fries and then washing that down with a few draft beers is a real good way to piss off your American digestive system. I spent most of Saturday and Sunday in the hotel room so I would never be far from the plumbing facilities. While I didn't have any need of the "sanitary bag" provided by the hotel, I still chuckle to myself when I read the brand name.




"Pecksniffs". Really?


Stay tuned for some more blog posts in the next week or so. I've got plenty of entertaining pictures and experiences to share; I just have to get motivated to type them up. And yes, Hong Kong Part II will be among the next couple of posts.


2 comments:

  1. Good Post. I heard Wednesday's a big day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wednesday will involve work, like every Wednesday, unfortunately....

    ReplyDelete