Monday, June 6, 2011

Sex Panther II? Not a Chance!


I cannot read this traditional mandarin sign, but whatever it says, I don't believe a single word of it. There is nothing "Special" about this "offer."

This, friends, is durian, a fruit native to Southeast Asia. It has an odor so strong it could singe the nose hairs off a skunk at more than 100 feet.

I think I'm with the folks in Singapore on this one. See below for a sign found in one of their MRT (subway) stations:



If there's one thing I would change about the Singaporean policy, it would be to add a fine to those found possessing this fruit.....At least the same as the flammable goods penalty. Fire, when handled responsibly, is a good thing. I'm not sure I can same the same thing about our friend durian.


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you blogged about these because we had a "gas leak" at our school last semester and everyone was evacuated for at least an hour. Come to find out it was not gas at all. A student had brought cookies made with durians!! It took our staff all day to figure out what it was and we have unofficially banned them from school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! that is too funny! Everyone I've talked to says they don't smell as bad once you've got them peeled properly. Clearly that wasn't your experience! I don't have any imminent plans to conduct my own research on this subject. :)

    ReplyDelete