Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Picture Post, Part I

Yes. I am lazy. But you should already know that. I have decided that a post comprised mainly of pictures would be a lot easier for me to author and a lot more entertaining to read. Besides, "a picture is worth a thousand words", right?

Presented in no particular order (and no, I won't be challenging any of you amateur/quasi-professional photographers anytime soon. Nor do I care that my pictures look like I have barely mastered the shutter button.....)




This just in: Taipei 101 is tall. The building to the right is the Hyatt, my home for two weeks, and a 20+ story building that is utterly dwarfed by what is now the 2nd tallest building in the world. Eventually, I'll get up to the observatory to snap a picture, but there was a 30 person line the one time I thought about heading up there. My patience has not improved that dramatically in two weeks...



Not exactly what comes to mind when I think of "Playboy".





I thought an Asian Zoo would have a significantly better chance of having a Tibetan Fox in captivity than its American counterparts, so I decided to check out the one in Taipei. Who was I kidding? That smug SOB would off himself before getting relegated to a zoo. I was pleasantly surprised to discover a species I didn't know existed, however.....














...the "jackass penguin". I think the folks at Anheuser-Busch sold themselves short with normal penguins in the late-nineties Bud Ice commercials.


The folks at the Taipei Zoo clearly understand the "durian" doesn't fall under the same category as normal fruit....


They didn't get the name right, but hell, who cares? They have tots here! Lozano, what say you to Corn Dog Day 2012, Taiwan style?


Cock in a tree; literally.....



So, every convenience store I've visited in Taiwan has at least two things. Hot dogs and tea-boiled eggs. The hot dogs I don't mind; the eggs (although apparently delicious according to my Taipei colleagues) have a distinct smell I don't find particularly pleasant.




This, friends, is a grilled chicken for sale in Hsinchu, a city south of Taipei. Interesting display strategy....





Apparently this bar is having a bit of an identify crisis. Buy 1, get 3 free sales are generally reserved for fireworks stands, are they not? (That's a rhetorical question: I can safely say I've spent more time and money at firework stands across America than anyone reading this blog....)


To be continued......

4 comments:

  1. hahahah thank you so much for my morning entertainment! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures, and a great read! Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you guys enjoyed my own twisted sense of humor....

    ReplyDelete