Sunday, October 23, 2011

What are the Odds?

I return home from Taiwan, fly into Houston, hang out in Diboll for the weekend, and drive to Austin on a Sunday. The following Monday I go to work at the Dell campus in Austin.

For those of you not familiar (and I'm assuming that's a large majority of the readership), Dell has multiple buildings in Austin and Round Rock, and they are all within close proximity of US Interstate 35, which runs north/south from the US border with Mexico to Canada.

Monday I had multiple meetings in different buildings and I drove to and from those meetings, changing parking spots each time. My last meeting of the day was at 3pm, and I parked about 150 feet from the entrance to the building.

At 5pm, I head out to the parking lot..... And there's no truck. Knowing that the Dell parking lots have a less than stellar record with vehicle security (multiple truck thefts in the past few years, including one of my colleagues), I immediately assumed my truck was stolen. But, since I was still feeling the effects of jet lag, I scratched my head a few times, walked in a couple of 20 foot circles and tried to remember if maybe I parked somewhere else in the lot.

One hour later, after the police arrived, and the parking lot was clearing out, it sunk in that my trusty Sierra was well on its way to Mexico. Good times!

Here's an amateur sketch of the general estimated whereabouts of my truck....


Followed by the official Austin Police Department incident report. I've chosen to only share the more pertinent part of the report (ie, the part where the detective hypothesizes on the nature of the crime....)


It would have been so much more entertaining if the officer chose to use the word "loot".... Oh well; here's hoping I don't have reason to see another police report involving the theft of my truck anytime soon.

Anyone got an opinion on the best crew cab truck on the market nowadays? The GMC was a no-brainer back in 2004, but Dodge and Ford both have some strong models out there these days. Let the research begin!

2 comments:

  1. That is crazy Neal! Sorry to hear it. I'm sure they will find them with that great amateur sketch! I've heard the new Eco boost F150 is solid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dude, it gives me good reason to do some truck shopping. If I'm honest, its kinda fun to look at trucks and sift through all the myriad options available these days. Given all the crazy configurations, I've decided to just put off the purchase decision until I have the time to properly test drive all the trucks on the market and check out their interiors... Thanks for the heads up on the F-150 Eco boost....

    ReplyDelete